Emmy, our favorite granddog, came to visit for a few days this week.
Emmy's story: On Wednesday, when it was really, really hot, Papa let me out into the backyard because I needed to go potty. To my big surprise, the gate was open!!! WOW! This is my chance!!! I can go for a walk and explore the neighborhood! So I trotted down Peggy Lane, just like I do when I walk with Grandma or Papa! I went around the corner, on Jim Drive, then turned on Bower. Oh, this is so much fun, walking on the sidewalk, and no leash, I feel free!! Some lady asked me where I was going, but I don't talk to strangers, so I just kept going!!! I got to Seaden, and made a right, then went back on Peggy Lane... I was getting very hot, and started panting, so I thought I'd better go back to Grandma & Papa's house for some fresh water. Papa's car was gone, I wonder where he went??? So I went in the backyard, ....Hey, I can't get in the house...whats going on??? Then all of a sudden I heard Papa calling my name, so I ran from the yard into the driveway, and there he was!!! He was soooo happy to see me, he was crying, too! I got lots of hugs and some treats, just for taking a little walk!!
PAPA'S STORY: I let Emmy out to go potty around 3:45. It was really hot, and about 10 minutes later, I realized she was still outside. Usually she comes right back in when its so hot, as she does not like the heat. I opened the doorwall and called for her, and then I noticed that the side gate was open.....OH MY GOD!!! EMMY IS GONE! My heart sank, as I ran into the yard, and called for her, just in case she was still there...but...NO EMMY!!! I called Bren to let her know, as I was supposed to pick Andrea up from the doctor shortly. Bren said she'd pick Andrea up, so I could go look for Emmy. I was so worried and upset, I wondered which way she went...I got in my car and slowly drove around the neighborhood, first on Jim Drive...NO EMMY!! Then onto Bower, still NO EMMY!!! I stopped and asked a lady who was working outside if she seen a pretty black and white hunting dog, and she said "Yes, it was heading toward Seaden, just walking down the sidewalk! She said "where are you going?" but the dog did not stop..she said "maybe it will go back home"....so I headed down Bower, and saw some landscaper guys at the corner...no, they did not see a dog. Got back in the car and drove down Seaden to 23 Mile...I was so worried that she would try to go around the road. The guy holding the "GOLD RUSH" sign on the corner did not see a dog....still NO EMMY...I'm getting more panicky...where did she go??? I drove to the next street behind our sub, onto Shamrock...stopped and asked another guy...NO EMMY...when I said its my daughter's dog, he said "Man, you're in trouble!" I was more worried about Emmy than being in trouble! I drove around Sugarbush, and thought I should head home...I was feeling sick, it was so hot...still NO EMMY...so I pulled into the driveway, remembering what the lady on Bower said. Got out of the car and started calling....EMMY....EMMY....EMMY.....and then....I thought I was dreaming!!! Emmy came running down the driveway!!! SHE CAME HOME!!!!!! HOORAY FOR EMMY!!! I started hugging her and crying, I was so happy and relieved!!!! It was 4:30, and she is home, and safe!!!
So 'Emmy the Explorer' went for a walk without her leash and without Grandma or Papa! Thank God this story has a happy ending!! :D
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet story with a happy ending!
ReplyDeleteI must say that Emmy is one very smart dog to got for a walk and know her way home. Poor Papa, just a few more gray hairs.
ReplyDeleteThis has happened to me before, I know that feeling that Papa had. I'm glad to hear that Emmy found her way home, safely. Dogs are smart like that, they know their way home.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, what kind of dog is Emmy?
ReplyDeleteEmmy is a rescued, 6 year old, German Short-haired Pointer mix!
ReplyDeleteYour grandpuppy is 7, not 6, my dear mother :)
ReplyDelete