Friday, May 8, 2009

GROSS NATIONAL HAPPINESS

I learned about GNH (Gross National Happiness) while watching Michael J. Fox's special on tv last night. His program, "Adventures of an Eternal Optimist" explored the nature of optimism, what it is and why some people have it more than others. They even looked at it scientifically to see if it is hereditary (it can be). He went to the country of Bhutan, up in the Himilayas, deep between Nepal, China and India. Thats where they have a GNH minister. Joy and happiness for all is in their constitution, and they take this very seriously. They believe that happiness begins with the family, at home, with the inclusion of the neighborhood and community, and that everyone must work together and be a part of this happy nation. It apparently works! I think we all need some Gross National Happiness, don't you?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we need GNH big time! that's very interesting! But I'm not happy because I forgot to watch Michael J. Fox last nite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't watch it either but saw one of his interviews about it. He is amazing and you are too Brenda!! I want to live there don't you?? But we can create our own Bhutan wherever we live! But I would rename it the National Happiness Indicator- NHI or something like that!

    ReplyDelete